Monday, March 16, 2015

Amazing grace...

Familia,

Today will be short. Not sure what to write to be honest. Various thoughts and feelings.

But what is on my mind is what I learned this week in my studies. I studied about the Atonement, but specifically focused on the enabling power of the atonement...which also can be called grace. It really helped me when I was feeling desperate and overwhelmed. 

I read and studied a talk that my mom sent me by Sheri L. Dew called, "sweet above all that is sweet." to be honest, she sent that to me a few months ago. And I read it back then, but still didn`t really dive in and didn`t really get it. But this time, I felt like I got it. 

To be honest I`ve never understood the word "grace" or really what it meant. Every one sings the song "Amazing Grace" and we hear that word constantly, but I just never understood what that meant or what people were trying to say. But this week I understood for the first time what grace means. So many scriptures that I had read or heard with the word "grace" I finally came to understand. And it was amazing. 


 Grace is really a power, that enables us to do things we simply could not do on our own, which comes as a result of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It is the enabling and strengthening power. It is the power that will carry us throughout life and the difficulties, if we will let it. And it is the power that will permit us to return to live with God again some day, if we do our part.

When we struggle or go through difficulties, sometimes we pray to have the circumstances changed and that things will be better. But really, our prayers should consist of praying for the strength and power to change the circumstances, not simply for the circumstances to change on their own. 

My eyes were opened and I felt like I came to understand more and feel closer to Christ and His sacrifice. He truly gives us power and strength and He will carry us. But only if we let him.

I just want to finish with a couple parts from the talk that were great. I mean it really is all amazing, I encourage everyone to read it. And then please do share. I would love to hear your thoughts. Or we can just chat about it when I get home ha. But this is what I liked:

"...in contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something. Our access to divine power hinges upon who we are becoming."

2 Nephi 25:23 "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

"Doing all we can do about the direction we`re headed and what kind of people we are becoming. Doing all we can do is about discipleship."

"Discipleship is not easy, but it is easier than not becoming a disciple...if our lives are centered on Christ, nothing can ever go permanently wrong, but if they`re not centered on Christ, nothing can ever go permanently right."

"As disciples we can ask for more energy, more revelation, more patience, more self'discipline, more hope, more love, more healing, more happiness. We can ask for miracles, for freedom from pain, and for the desire to forgive. We can ask for more faith and for help in becoming better disciples. And we can ask for angles to walk with us."

"When disciples do their best, whatever that is at a given moment, the Lord magnifies them. Doing all we can do is about becoming and behaving like true disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. That is our part."

"What one thing would you be willing to give up, starting today, to put the Savior even more at the center of your life? What one thing would you be willing to do, starting today, to unlock more of His power? The Savior`s grace is what will enable us to do what He is counting on us to do."

Because "the path of discipleship is actually the easiest path because the Lord`s love for us has no end ' which is why the fruit of the tree is sweet above all that is sweet."

--------


"My grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)

I know that I am nothing. And I have never been qualified for the tasks in front of me. But I don`t have to be. I just have to confide and rely more on the grace provided through Christ.

And that is what I`m trying to learn at this time, believing it will help me throughout my life. 

I guess that turned out to be longer than I thought, ha.

I love you all. And I know this is true. Thanks for your love and support and friendship. I truly love you all dearly.

Love,
Hermana Wright


No comments:

Post a Comment